Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Greatest Irony: Deaf Baby Cuffed, Hearing Baby Learns ASL!

It's time to expose AGB and their mind-boggling "deny the deaf child sign language" philosophy to the public. The masses need to know that there are people depriving deaf babies access to a complete and natural language. And the protest at the AGB conference tomorrow and Saturday is a great opportunity for the world learn from us! For those of you who would like more background on this controversy, see Amy Cohen Efron's The Greatest Irony.

Courtesy of the extremely talented artist, Maureen "Moe" Klusza http://moeart.com/ THANK YOU!!!! Want t-shirts? Bumper Stickers? Check Moe's Art at CafePress.com

For the protest schedule according to Deaf Bilingual Coalition, spearheaded by John F. Egbert, click here.

Take the metro! Get off the Crystal City Metro and walk about 1/4 mile to the Crystal Gateway Marriott.

For driving directions from Gallaudet to the AGB Conference at Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, VA, click here.

Alexander Graham Bell Association conference schedule:

Friday, July 27, 2007

8:00 – 8:15 a.m. Welcome
8:15 – 9:45 a.m. Keynote – Dr. Janet Werker
10:00 – 11:00 a.m. Panel Presentation/Discussion
11:15 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Learning Labs (4 - 5 Concurrent Sessions)
12:30 – 1:30 p.m. Lunch
1:30 – 3:00 p.m. Keynote – Dr. Anu Sharma
3:30 – 4:30 p.m. Panel Presentation/Discussion
4:45 – 6:00 p.m. Learning Labs (4 - 5 Concurrent Sessions)

Saturday, July 28, 2007

7:45 a.m. - 8:45 a.m. Auditory-Verbal Therapy Certification Process Update
7:45 a.m. - 8:45 a.m. Auditory-Verbal Therapy Self-Assessment to Improve AVT Practice
9:00 – 10:30 a.m. Keynote - Dr. Maria Mody
10:45 – 11:45 a.m. Panel Presentation/Discussion
12:00 p.m. – 1:15 p.m. Learning Labs (4 - 5 Concurrent Sessions)
1:15 – 1:30 p.m. Closing
1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. Public School Caucus Luncheon and Business Meeting
2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Auditory-Verbal Group Business Meeting

More irony...the theme of the AGB Conference this weekend is....: Talk For A Lifetime! *shaking head*

See you there.

Thanks to Amy Cohen Efron for starting the fire....

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I suggest this to AG Bell?

Make a biggest poster and copy that picture...bring this to AG Bell conference!

White Ghost

Anonymous said...

I love Moe's artwork and it is fitting to Amy's vlog!

White Ghost's idea is not a bad one. The artwork may elicit dialogue with the hearing public and media. It may pique their curiosity to learn further about what is going on.

Katherine

drmzz said...

Right on! Thanks Moe.

... said...

Yep, I read your minds... White Ghost and Katherine :) Already made a big vinyl banner from Kinko's last night... going to bring it over to SAC now :)

ASL Risen said...

Awesome artwork! Love it! Cannot wait to see the photo of that big vinyl banner! Cool!

Squ65 said...

I was going to tell you to make a huge poster! A good one ... wow! *grin*

David Kerr said...

BEAUTIFUL WORKS!

Deafchip

Anonymous said...

Wow, that artwork really COMMUNICATES! A picture is worth a million words! Thanks, Moe!
Make a billboard and post it across the street from the AGBAD convention!

Anonymous said...

Bingo, here we go. We want to see the video/documentary, get aim AG Bell, Aidan Mack!

We are waiting for Amy Cohen Efron's response....

Your'e our hero!

Hugs,

White Ghost

Beaux Arts de Boutjean said...

White Ghost,

I agree that we should make
the poster much bigger and
more visible so reporters,
photographers, and TV
TV viewers CAN SEE clearly!

ASL said...

I like your beautiful artwork.

Anthony

Amy said...

Hi hi hi hi! Amy Cohen Efron here!

I was at the shopping mall meeting my friend at Apple Store. My friend is thinking of buying a Mac to do vlogs and I was showing him the website, DeafRead. Then I saw your post. I was so THRILLED to see a beautiful cartoon/artwork that captured the spirit of "The Greatest Irony" vlog! I was so happy to see this and I am very humbled/honored that you recognized the importance of this issue which needs to be exposed to everyone. Make everyone to see the irony, and then we can be able to explain WHY, HOW, WHERE, WHO, WHEN, WHAT happened...

Mo's cartoon is a *perfect* visual representation!

I'm so sorry that I wasn't able to comment quickly as possible, and I had to drive home from the shopping mall to get onto my computer, and then make a comment!

Everyone, you all are making the difference because each of you made a contribution to this very important cause.

Love ya all,

Amy Cohen Efron

LaRonda said...

Powerful picture! Great job. We should make t-shirts. Get the word out!

~ LaRonda

... said...

laronda

your wish has come true :)

check http://www.cafepress.com/moeart

thanks to maureen "moe" klusza :)

... said...

laronda,

my bad. the site's

https://www.cafepress.com/moeart

:)raychelle